Monday, February 3, 2014

Carriers


For Trifecta Writing Challenge.  Use the word manipulate (transitive verb) in a response not to exceed 333 words. Use it in the meaning given: to change by artful or unfair means so as to serve one's purpose; doctor.  For 3WW use the following words in a post: rogue, passive, accelerate.

“We must manipulate genes further.  Some hybrids still possess rogue multitudinous human characteristics,” Xur stated.

“I remain unchanged in my assessment. Their life givers are immature in development.  Specifically, their brains. Further gene manipulation will not succeed in augmenting brain function. They are intellectual invalids,” Acog replied.

“Their brains are inconsequential. They are birthing vessels, vessels necessary for our species to continue to exist.  Intellectual capacity is not imperative; they are carriers. That is all.”

“Yet, it is their lack of intellect that concerns,” replied Acog. “They will not be passive, abiding birthing slaves. They will bring their viruses of infantile reasoning, hysteria and opposition to our planet.”

“Understood.” Xur thought Acog’s opinion illogical. It was not their decision and it was out of their hands.  “Have you any luck with Mother All?”

“No. As I stated earlier, she is an anomaly.  Her intellectual and visceral capabilities are extraordinary for her kind. She is not swayed easily. Upon orders I deprived her therapist of life and have assumed his body as my own. She does not believe our tests to be dreams like the others do.  She believes them to be factual.  And with each genetic manipulation and implantation, her intellectual knowledge is growing exponentially.”

“That is good news then,” replied Xur, satisfied with the news.

“No. As Mother-All she is influential to the continuance of our race. Yet, our genetic imprint will not completely eradicate her emotional and visceral powers that is pernicious to our experiments.”

“What then do you suggest? To inform Commission is to have our lives be terminated on grounds of failure.” 

Acog had been thinking about this for some time, “Continue accelerating gene manipulation to create more superior hybrids and, to avoid any form of resistance from birth vessels, place all subjects, including Mother-All, in comatose states. When they have exhausted their reproductive stages, they will be terminated.  By then, our species will have been saved."

“Agreed," answered Xur.

“Concur," replied Acog.

29 comments:

Glynis Rankin said...

Wow! This was a very interesting story. Mother-All isn't a fool, she'll figure these two out long before that happens. At least that is how I saw this story playing out in my mind. Great read! Should be a sci-fi novel.

Lori Skoog said...

Rebecca-San....you are so out there with your imagination. Incredible.

Renada Styles said...

I felt like I was in some sci-fi movie! Absolutely love it! And the use of language was perfect, truly 'smart'. I give you a nod for excellent writing and a good vocabulary. I particularly liked this phrase: "deprived her therapist of life".

Kelly Garriott Waite said...

Great science fiction, reminding me of the birthing cows and the clones in Nancy Farmer's work. But this is much, much worse.

theinnerzone said...

This is such an interesting read:), loved it.

kaykuala said...

A whiff of freshness, a lovely prose as opposed to the usual poetry. An excellent write Rebecca!

Hank

Jae Rose said...

All the elements of a perfect sci-fi/thriller story..particularly love the character names..

Sheilagh Lee said...

A great beginning for a sci-fi story I think Mother-all will defeat them at their own game and even if she doesn't her children will with the emotions they carry. Very well written story.

Ruby Manchanda said...

Interesting take on the prompt

troy P. said...

Very cool and detached - not my normal "thing," but I found myself having to read through, to find out what happened regardless. Nicely done!

rebecca said...

Yes, Glynis, Mother-All will be the monkey wrench in their best laid plans. Glad you enjoyed.... :)

rebecca said...

Lorelei, haha! I've heard that quite a few times! Growing up my mom used to say the same thing and my dad would laugh at my crazy stories. I've always had a knack for making up things. Had to! I was the youngest of 6 but the age difference was so vast I might as well had been an only child. So, I learned to entertain myself from very young! LOL!

rebecca said...

Thank you Renada! I will take that very kind compliment, thank you!

rebecca said...

Thanks Kelly! I aim to please! :)

rebecca said...

Thanks inner zone!

rebecca said...

Thank you Hank for your very kind comment. Truth be told, I find poetry difficult to write, so prose is my venue of choice. And, thanks for the follow! Welcome!

rebecca said...

Thank you Jae!

rebecca said...

Sheilagh - ding ding ding! It is precisely the children who'll be problematic when the day comes! Glad you enjoyed the read...

rebecca said...

Ruby, one never knows where one's mind might take them, no? That's the fun...

rebecca said...

Thank you Troy! Glad you enjoyed!

Belva Rae Staples said...

Great story!

Jesse said...

Exactly the right voice for hard SF, which is not easy. Nice job.

Ivy (Mommy Dourest) said...

This is a great sci-fi piece. I like how you were able to tell the story solely through their dialogue, which was very well done, by the way. I enjoyed reading this. :)

Lyssa Medana said...

So spooky - I wonder how well Mother All will respond? I thought the dialogue worked really well. LM x

rebecca said...

Thank you Belva! Glad you enjoyed...

rebecca said...

Why thank you Jesse! I'm happy I was able to effect desired result. Your words mean a lot.

rebecca said...

Thank you Ivy! Sometimes a story just writes itself without much of your input. The creative knows how it wants to say it....

rebecca said...

Lyssa....mmm, Mother All, Mother All. Methinks they don't have it quite in the bag just yet ;)

rebecca said...

Belva, I read your Rogue poem but couldn't leave a comment cause I had to register with Google Plus. Honestly, I find Google Plus overwhelming. So I'm leaving your comment here! I found your Rogue to live up to his name, though it caught up with him in the end. Yep, never know how that cad card is going to play out!